Blogging is a great tactic to get fresh content and new visitors on your website, valuable content to share on social media and a great way to show your industry expertise. No wonder companies have a business blog section on their website.
But when you spend so much time writing great content for your blog, you ideally want Google to place your blog posts high in Google results for relevant searches. That’s why it is so important to optimise your blog posts in order to reach this goal.
Here are 5 powerful ways to get your blog post onto Google:
Have a great post title
Your page title (meta tag) is something that is not visible on your page but it’s one of the most important ‘on page’ elements for Google. The page title can really improve the Google ranking of your post.
Make sure you have the important keywords closer to the start of your title. For example if you write a blog post about decorating your garden, your title could be: “How to decorate your garden this spring”.
Add the right keywords
A good idea when you create a blog post is to do some keyword research using Google Keyword Planner to see what people are searching.
This will help you to identify keywords that are not only relevant to your business and to that blog post in particular, but are also having many searches on Google and how competitive those keywords are. For example, you can find keywords that have many searches but are not very competitive, which will give you a tremendous opportunity to use them and rank well on Google.
Convert it into Slideshare
Slideshare is a presentation sharing platform. You can take your blog post and convert it into a slideshare presentation and upload it to slideshare. The reason to do this is that Google indexes all the content on slideshare within seconds.
There’s also a very good chance to get your content ranked highly on Google by doing this.
Optimise your images
Images look great on a blog post. You can use them to grab attention, to share your content on social media and even to show a bit more of some of the things your blog post describes.
Optimising your images within your blog posts is key to get good traffic to your site from people doing image searches. So when you upload an image take these points into consideration:
- Name of the image: Include relevant keywords
- Title of the image: Make it a good one to improve click-through rates
- All Tag of Image: Include relevant keywords so Google can easily index your content
- Image size: Make sure they’re not heavy so your web page takes a long time to load
- Caption: Make sure it tells the reader exactly what the image is about
- Get internal and external links
Having internal and external links is key for your blog post get onto Google. Here’s why:
- Internal links:If you have a cooking blog and you write a blog post about how a pizza base recipe, you may want to link to this post from some other of your blog posts. If “pizza base recipe” are the terms you want to rank on then you would link to a post using these keywords.
When you do this, you’re helping Google by telling what the post is about and can help you improve your ranking.
- External links: Having external links pointing to your blog post is a great way to improve the Google ranking of your blog post and website in general. Here are 4 good ways to create external links to your blog post:
- Social Media: A good way to create external links is by sharing them in your social media business updates.
- Approach sites: You can also identify and approach sites that have your desired audience and let them know about the post. If your content is really valuable, they may promote your post and link to it.
- Guest Post: Write a guest post on a site around a topic that is relevant to your post and link to it.
- Bookmarking: There are many popular bookmarking sites like Delicious or Stumbleupon. Add your blog post link to them with the relevant keywords.