Pinterest fascinates many marketers because of the visual gratification this social media platform provides. However, not all businesses have a proper Pinterest strategy in place. Before you go ahead and start pinning things randomly, here are a few do’s and dont’s you need to keep in mind when using Pinterest.
1. Make your boards visually stimulating. Board cover photos are an important aspect of attracting your audience. Big, clear and high-quality images and catchy board names are the key to making a good impression.
2. Use Pinterest “Pin it” Buttons for original content on your website. Uploading images to your Pinterest account from your website will link people back to your website from your pins. This is important from a search engine ranking perspective and to increase your website traffic.
3. Share and comment on pins from people who are relevant to your business. Try to initiate discussions with audiences that matter.
4. As with any other social media platform, use commenting on your own pins. Ask questions, initiate discussions, engage your audience to come back for more.
5. Boost your Pinterest Page by promoting it on your existing Facebook and Twitter Pages. This will help you build your Pinterest followers.
6. Improve your visibility on Pinterest. Use Keywords that are part of your website SEO strategy in your pins, boards, and profile description to make it easier for people to find you.
1. Upload images directly from your computer. These will not link back to your website and you will lose out on valuable traffic.
2. Pin Randomly. Your boards should be tied to a theme. Pinning things that are not in line with your theme will confuse people and affect your reputation on Pinterest.
3. Repin without proper credits. If you repost something you like but is not your original content, link back to the original source.
4. Blatantly push your offers, products and promotions. People will unfollow you. Use visual imagery that ties up with your theme and is in line with your brand personality. Stretch your boundaries and share content that your followers will like to engage with.
5. Pin inconsistently – pinning too frequently might lead to people unfollowing you and pinning very few pins, might cause you to lose out on followers. Find the right balance that works for you.
6. Forget to mention your people and what you do. You can have separate boards that showcase your employees and the fun things you do. Such boards help to give your brand a face and a personality that people can connect with.
Do you have any other Pinterest tips you would like to share with us? Please post your comments below, we would like to hear from you.