SEO is the abbreviation for Search Engine Optimisation.
Put in simple terms, SEO involves techniques designed to increase the number of visitors to a website delivered by search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo who assess and rank your website accordingly. These results are displayed in the search engine results pages (SERPs) to users who are searching for related queries.
SEO is actually a lot simpler than it may sound, the essence of search engine optimisation is to make sure your website is relevant to what is being offered, be this information, products or services. It is important to both the end users, so they find what they are searching for and the search engines so they can provide the right information to the users.
To answer the question ‘What is SEO?’ we need to look at both ‘natural’ or ‘organic’ and ‘paid’ SEO. Organic SEO is achieved using white hat tried and tested methods to obtain high rankings within the search engine results. Paid SEO or PPC (pay per click) is exactly what is says, you pay to achieve your ranking, although quality is still a factor.
On a basic level SEO ensures that your website has:-
- Well researched keywords that people are using when searching for your products or services.
- Informative quality content based around the relevant keywords.
- Compelling title tags, description tags and headers relevant to the content and using the keywords.
- Fresh content to engage and encourage conversions once you get the traffic to your website.
This is often referred to as on page SEO as it directly related to what is on each page. There are also off page factors that have an impact when asking what is SEO, these include:-
- Links pointing to your website from other trusted sites.
- The history of a website
- Social signals from social media platforms and interaction.
These are all indicators to how search engines measure the authority of your site and the rankings you can achieve. No single factor is going to guarantee top rankings, but having several positive ones will certainly increase the odds.
If you want to know more about SEO, contact us for a chat on how we can help your business.